Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A great read...

It's been awhile since I have read something that really knocked my socks off.

Here I am, sockless, after reading Here If You Need Me: A True Story by Kate Braestrup. Kate is a wonderful writer who tells the story of losing her husband (a Maine state trooper) in a car crash, and how she works her way through it. She became a chaplain for the Warden Service after his death, and she intertwines stories of some of the many search and rescues she has attended with the story of her moving on as a mother of 4 after her beloved's death.

Now, I'll admit that I have an instant affinity for the themes of this book. My husband is in the same profession as hers was. Her job is quite similar to that of a victim's advocate--the job I will take when my youngest goes to school. They had a large-ish family. So perhaps I have a personality suited to find significance to her story. Fair enough.

But you know what? A story well told is a story well told. And she really does tell this story painfully, tenderly, optimistically well.

Put it on your "to read" list. If you live near me, I might even let you borrow my copy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to have you back.

Tara Ray Eyer said...

I'd love to read this book; I can get it read in a week and get the book back to you right away. A good excuse to get together again soon! We had a blast at the movie, by the way. Spencer rocks; he's so good with the kids!

DenimAngel said...

Happymum, I just happened to find myself in here and I'm enjoying reading your posts. When I get time I will have a look through some more. Would you mind if I added your link to my blog? Let us know.
An old BC Mummy here,
Susan

talitha said...

Life & Hope:

Call me! We need mommy time. We'll meet up and do lunch and I'll bring the book with me.