Saturday, July 31, 2010

it's "someday"...

Throughout all of The Hubby and I's parenting years, we have always looked ahead and talked about what life would be like on certain "somedays". You know what I mean. "Someday, this 6 year old will be a teenager, can you even believe it?" or "Someday, we won't have to change diapers anymore!" or 'Someday, the older kids will drive and can take the younger kids and go for little outings together."

One particular someday we have always talked about was the someday that our last child would go into kindergarten. For the last 20 years, I have always had at least 1 child home with me during the day. There were days in these last 20 years that the idea that they would ever NOT be with me seemed a forever away. In the thick of raising all these little people, I couldn't even picture a time when I might have an empty house on a regular basis.

Well, you know what I am going to say. It's here. This past week, The Hubby and I got to experience the bitter sweetness of that little goodbye...goodbye to the toddler years, that we have loved so very much. Goodbye to knowing that even though the bigger kids were gone and we were missing them, we still had a little one to cuddle at home. Goodbye to the little boy, and hello to the big kindergartner!






Hello, Someday. You got here so much faster than I ever thought you would.

2 comments:

~pollyanna said...

my "baby" is 20 and headed for more life than I am at all comfortable with. It's all happened SOOOO fast.

Hillfivesome said...

Such an amazing way to put it. You have such a way with words.